They did it! Team Next Step conquered the 47th Annual New Balance Falmouth Road Race despite grueling weather conditions this past Sunday on Cape Cod!
It was an amazing race day. A heavy fog blanketed the course while the runners made their way from the starting line in Woods Hole to the Nobska Lighthouse. Unfortunately, the cool foggy conditions burned away about an hour into the race, leaving our runners with hot and humid conditions to manage while facing the last few miles. It didn’t matter – they were all smiles as they passed Next Step’s super fan section at mile 5.5 and pushed themselves to finish the 7-mile race!
We are so grateful and proud of the 26 individuals who volunteered their free time this summer for Next Step. They not only raised a lot of money in support of our programming, but they also spent countless hours training hard in the hot summer months to prepare for the tough race. Together they are SO CLOSE to raising $40,000, which will go a long way in funding Next Step’s free year-round community, music and mentorship programs for teens and young adults impacted by cancer, HIV and rare genetic disorders.
We want to give a shout-out to an amazing group of individuals for making this weekend a special one for our runners:
- Thank you so much to Peg and Pete Carlson for opening their hearts and home and hosting the dinner and BBQ for Team Next Step and all their friends and families.
- A heartfelt thank you to Next Stepper Chloe and her mom Deb for delivering inspiring speeches at our post-race BBQ. They did a wonderful job of explaining the life-changing impact that Next Step’s free year-round programming has not only on the seriously ill young people that attend them, but also their families.
- Thank you to the Paoletta Family for helping us build the Next Step roster and for leading our cheering section at mile 5.5.
- Thank you to Germaine Frechette and Kathy Carlson for organizing the delicious food, and to Jim Hays for handling the grill at our post-race BBQ.
- Thank you to the Falmouth Road Race committee for welcoming Next Step back for a ninth summer.
- Thank you Turkish Airlines for sponsoring our 2019 Falmouth Road Race team.
The 2019 Falmouth Road Race weekend was so much fun and a great success because of all of you! Thank you to everyone who donated! You truly are changing lives!
Click here to donate and help Team Next Step cross their fundraising finish line of $40,000! Any amount helps but you will receive a single entry into an exciting raffle for a pair of round trip economy class air tickets with Turkish Airlines for every $50 you donate to Team Next Step.
Run the 2020 Falmouth Road Race for Next Step!
Email Nancy Hays, Next Step Development Director, if you would like to run the 2020 Falmouth Road Race for Next Step.